Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What's old is new - or is it?


While it will take some time before it (hopefully) becomes mainstream, organic food is steadily gaining popularity in the United States. Or perhaps it would make more sense to say that organic foods are making a major comeback, because growing food organically is not a new concept. In fact, organic food was the only kind of food that existed until the advent of chemical pesticides and fertilizers during the last century. Since the dawn of agriculture, people all over the world have been growing everything from corn to potatoes to tomatoes to cotton relying on nothing more than common sense, careful planning, and a little bit of luck. However, the demand for more food that would grow quicker and last longer which became prevalent during and after the two World Wars led to the creation of (what we now know to be) toxic fertilizers and pesticides. Just as we can blame modern science for the introduction of these convenient yet harmful chemicals, we can thank modern science for the slow but steady understanding that the way it was is, in reality, the way it needs to be today.


When I decided to make the conscious effort to eat organic foods and use more eco-friendly products, I did what I always do when I want to know more about a subject: I went to my local library. Actually, I logged onto http://www.sailsinc.org/, a website that allows me to search the catalog of my library as well as those of neighboring libraries which belong to the Sails network. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of books my search for "organic" turned up. One of my favorites so far is A Slice of Organic Life (edited by Sheherazade Goldsmith). This wonderful book is crammed full of ideas for those who wish to adopt a healthier lifestyle but don't necessarily want to make radical changes. There is advice on a myriad of topics; some of the ones that have grabbed my attention are supporting local businesses, give eco presents, wear and sleep in natural organic fibers, and all of the sections regarding growing one's own organic fruits, vegetables, and even animals (my husband just won't go for raising chickens, though, even though I found two books about the subject at my library). If you're interested in finding ways to integrate organic and eco-friendly products and practices into your current lifestyle, whether you live in an apartment in the city or on three acres of land in the suburbs, this book is the perfect place to start.


Off to gymnastics (and I suppose I should study for that French final I have tonight). Have a great day!


Kate

The Ordinary Organic

No comments: